Thursday, May 13, 2010

THEM'S WHO NEEDS COURTIN'




So I have a 14 year old son who is apparently a damned artist. Least that what I think. I have talked about him, and his work to friends ,family, and fans alike over the years. So nothing in that regard has really changed. Just like all Fathers, I am proud of my kids( I have 3).

But something has changed recently. He has made the first noticeable creative leap ( which I hope is the first of many). I look at everything he draws, or sculpts, either because he brings it to show, me, or I will see it lying on his desk, or a table in the house. So I try to keep my finger on the pulse of his talent. But these drawings lately, which he has added the use of grey washes to, have been far beyond what I have seen in recent weeks.

I'm not sure what to think yet, except to feel proud of his burgeoning ability as a young Illustrator. He really loves it too. i know this, because I can see it deep in his eyes, when I look in them. Listening to him tell me about the particular piece we might be sharing at any given time. I know it when I see it, because I have it. I have had that same passion, and love for Art since before I could articulate it, except visually with pencil, paper, or paint.

And he does it all. Not just drawing. He paints, and Sculpts. He makes shit outta' Duct Tape. I mean REALLY cool shit. And one of our( my wife's too) favorite things over the years has been his "Twist-Tie" sculptures. Little people, doing various and sundry things. My wife has one hanging from the Mirror in her car to this day. And one standing vigil on her nightstand as she sleeps. ( I think this one has a bottle cap as a helmet, and a sword.)

He has been working with me in the studio now for about 6 months or so, and really has turned out to be a great assisstant( when he's not chasing his girlfriend around, or going to the park with his buddies). but when I really need him, he's there. He fills in blacks on all my pages, and covers, and generally helps me around the Studio when I need it. And he gets paid. $10 a page for filling blacks, and $15 a pop for covers. So I am trying to teach him the value of a Dollar, and a deadline.

All I can do is hope that if Art is something that he wants to pursue as a career, whether it be comics, or otherwise, that he attains that dream. My wife and I will be right there to help him make it happen , with whatever we can do. But until then, I will aid, support, encourage, and critique his Art, and teach him.

All of the Drawings above are by Vencenzo Anthony Harris, 14 years old, 6 Ft. 4 In. We call him Big-E.



5 comments:

  1. That's really great to hear, Mr. Harris. You're a great dad and have a great son. Can't wait to see what he brings to the world in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty awesome, Tony.

    You'll be assisting him before long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kid is KICKIN' BUTT! Tell Big-E I'm in awe of his prodigious skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dope work. I've got work for him when he's ready to make barely minimum wage from struggling writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is amazing work. He is living large in his drawings and in life. Hell when I show up for a shoot I wonder if I'm already shrinking.

    ReplyDelete